Monday, August 29, 2011

On the road.

Leaving the bay area and heading to LA

I have been on the road a lot this summer. First a road trip from Iowa to CA via Kansas, Oklahoma,  New Mexico, Arizona,  and Nevada. Then last weekend we drove down from San Francisco to LA and back for the the weekend. Plus weekend trips around the bay. I am not a big fan of driving long hours, but I do find that there are some essentials that make the trip better. Here is what I need in my car.

1. Podcasts, books on tape and pandora. I love This American Life, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and The Moth. On our long trip we listened to the last Harry Potter book which was a great way to pass the time. Pandora stations I love are Florence + The Machine, Lady Gaga and Phoenix.

3. A mix of healthy and "non-healthy" foods. Let's be honest, if you only have carrot sticks and coconut water when you get to the gas station you will end up grabbing some chips or candy bars. I like to stock up on the healthy foods such as nuts, fruit, coconut water, carrots sticks, rice cakes and almond butter. I then like to get some other stuff like kettle corn (from TJ's), gummy bears and some other treats. I pick things that are organic but also fun. I'm still working on not snacking the entire time....

4. Comfy clothes. Yoga pants with a tank, or a loose dress. Also layers! Sometimes the sun can be hot, or the AC can get too cold.

5. An iPhone so you can listen to Pandora, read twitter, use instagram, play games, check email and look up random facts about places you are driving through or to use google to win a debate.

Happy trails!
Iowa in the summer

No comments:

Post a Comment