Friday, July 15, 2011

What are you afraid of?


What is the point of fear?

I see it's purpose when it comes to people who don't have a lot of common sense. Fear might stop them from climbing the dangerous cliff or driving too quickly on an icy road. But what about the rest of us? Does fear really have a purpose? By fearing something does it make it better? Less scary? Not for me. I'm realizing that fear doesn't have a purpose in my life. I'm not an overly afraid person, I'm actually pretty adventurous, but I do find fear sneaking up on me more and more. For example I don't bake as much as I want to, and I especially don't experiment with baking, because I'm afraid that I will mess up the entire batch. I am comfortable with cooking, but baking is whole another story. There is something about the oven, the ingredients and all the things that could go wrong that intimidate me. In this situation why do I feel like I have to be perfect? Even the most successful and renowned baker messes up and has to throw out an entire cake. Is that a big deal? Not at all.



I'm also afraid of the bigger things like failing at a business venture and losing all my money and pride. But, if I look at successful people I realize that most of them have failed a few times. The main thing is they know how to get back up and try something new. 

I fear earthquakes, going to parties where I don't know people, and not being liked by someone new I meet. This week I'm going to focus on my fear. Every time I feel it creeping up I'm going to stop and say: I can and I will. And that is that. :)



1,2,3

No comments:

Post a Comment