Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Perfect fall dessert




I have a love affair with fruit. In fact, I always have. When ordering dessert at a restaurant my first choice is usually a dessert that has fruit in it. I love how naturally sweet and healthy fruit is. This crisp is perfect with vanilla ice-cream or on it's own for a snack.

Fall Fruit Crisp

Ingredients

5-8 apples
Berries - I used frozen cranberries and raspberries, about 1/4 cup each
Sugar and cinnamon (the amount depends on your preference)
1/4 of water or apple juice
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup instant oatmeal
3 T Oil (I used ghee and *grapeseed oil, but you can also use butter, coconut oil)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350

Filling
Peel and thinly slice 5-8 apples
Put the apples into a baking pan
Add the frozen berries
Toss this mixture with sugar and cinnamon (I didn't measure, just went by taste, if you use cranberries make sure you add enough sugar so it's not too tart)
Pour water or apple juice over the mixture. If you use apple juice you won't need to use as much sugar

Topping
In a small bowl combine the flour, oatmeal with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 T cinnamon
Add the oil (or melted butter) and mix together
Optional add chopped walnuts, sesame seeds
Crumble on top of the fruit

Put in oven without a cover. It takes about an hour. Make sure the liquid is mostly gone and the apples are soft.

* I used grapeseed because it doesn't have much of a flavor and can be cooked at a high heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment