Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Yes, fairy tales do exist. I was in one.

A place like this only exists in Europe. Or so I thought. But, in fact it's here in the US and it's gorgeous. Filoli was built in 1915 by a very wealthy couple, Mr. and Mrs. William Bowers Bourn. The name stands for the first two letters of of each phrase: “Fight for a just cause; Love your fellow man; Live a good life.”. They built a mansion and bought with it 125 acres of gorgeous land in California's Bay Area, near San Francisco. The land surrounding the mansion is filled with flowers, trees, and everything else. Walking around with my parents felt like a dream. It felt like I was in a Jane Austen movie, all that was missing were the women with dresses, men on horses and parties.

What is amazing about this place is every month there are new flowers blooming, so every time you visit you will see different flowers. I went a couple weeks ago when the tulips were in full bloom. Pretty soon different flowers will burst out into the scene. I can't wait to go back and see what is blooming next!

No comments:

Post a Comment